11:35 PM

A Day in the Life


























I think this is one of the most memorable days that any young design student will ever have. We had the incredible opportunity to tour the show rooms of Rubelli Fabrics, a leader in the high end textile industry, what I didn’t know was the incredible historical production that they have, they have collected thousands of historical pieces, one of which they showed us was a beautiful Victorian corset and a little boys outfit…oh my amazing, and to see these exquisite fabrics that have been saved for so long, I thought it was so interesting to see the style and how everything really does come back around. They had a beautiful palace that had a gorgeous view over the water. The best part was going though the hundreds of lush fabrics…oh my beautiful! They had lines inspired by Rome and Venice, which were my favorite in vibrant brilliant colors. It was really helpful to see how they took inspiration like we are assigned to do, and making it into a real product…that is hundreds of dollars a yard!
We headed back to the hotel and I took a little gander to Malory’s room, which was the suit! It was in a beautiful green and creams. It was so beautiful. My favorite was the Lobby and the halls to upstairs, done in rich black and white, they had the most beautiful Vatican glass chandelier in black, and an amazing Louie 15 loveseat that had a great fresh look. Next, we headed out to Fortuny, which we took a water taxi to get to. Fortuny is a unique textile company specializing in hand dyed hand patterned fabrics that are simply stunning. The small show room was great; it had a great call back to the founding father of Fortuny, Mariano Fortuny. They only use design that he produced, they still have an archive that they pull from for their new lines. It’s very hush hush on the production, but they were very cool about taking us to the back where there was a gorgeous aqua mosaic pool surrounded by the most beautiful gardens. There were the greatest stairs leading down the pool, they were like round lily pads leading you to the bottom…so amazing! I loved the portico with lawn chairs and stone arches. It was such a perfect place for them to bring high rolling client!
It was such an incredible experience seeing these places that no one who just visits Venice gets to experience and something I will remember forever. I have a real appreciation for these companies now to see how much pride they take in their products. We headed back to our home away from home and…I decided that it was a shame that the beday was not being used…because that’s just nasty to use it for …that! So I decided since our shower is a little claustrophobic I would use it for a better purpose…shaving my legs…yeah…I thought it was genius! At least it made us laugh really hard.


Posted by Picasa

0 comments: