3:30 PM

Going Punting, Going Punting…la da da dad a da


I feel like I’m right back in school again…waking up early, sleeping though class, playing in town after…sound about right?
We caught our train early this morning and I had my usual nice little nap, Complete with a wide open mouth that I woke to see Darin taking a picture of, so being the smartie that I am decided I would tie my scarf around my head to keep it shut, yeah remember that when I’m tired I don’t so much think clearly! So now I look like I just had my wisdom teeth out, but fell back asleep to once again see Darin over my head, so I covered my head in the scarf…and now I look like a terrorist…all get you back Darin…just you wait!
So we arrived in the extremely cute town of Cambridge where we had a little time to start off the day right with…shopping. They have the most quant fun shopping in England, what I expected of all the countries. Malory was all excited cause they had the Rose and Violet chocolates she had been looking for, for her boss…so we thought we should try these if they are so highly sought after…yeah, they taste like perfume…I may never be able to smell a rose again…sick nasty!
Next we met up with one the most adorable English women ever, Miss Sally, the coinsure of all things Cambridge, she had puffy white hair and wore plaid pants, and fabulous blue eye shadow! She told fun stories of good times in the history of Cambridge, the fun stories that you would tell at reunions! One of which was the tradition of pranking…she showed us a clipping from the news paper with a picture of a car on top of the Kings Chapel…they only had a 6 hour shot to get it done, once a year…hilarious! You can now see the measures that they have taken in preventing such childish games, a small stone placed in just the right spot that not even Gumby could climb over. I also loved that in some of the living spaces their were old iron spikes outside the windows to prevent the escape of students! Ah, the fun times we have when we should be studious. One of my favorite stops on our tour was Kings College, a masterfully constructed cathedral with spectacular carved fan vaulted ceilings and the most elaborate, magnificent stain glass windows! They are some of the only ones preserved from the damage the war booming caused.
After a fabulous lunch at the famous Eagles Pub, visited by geniuses that attended Cambridge and developed things like the double helix of DNA…its fun cause on the ceiling are faded names of students and soldiers who came and visited, some written in candle way and lipstick! I was so excited cause I finally got my fish and chips, this is something from my birth that my dad would talk about from his time living in England…It was so good, although they would say it wasn’t authentic cause it was actually served on plate, but it was delich! A huge piece of cob with mashed peas, sloppy fries and a good English roll!
They we met up with our trusty guides again to travel though the Fitzgerald museum, a collections of artifacts and paintings collected my students, teachers and sponsors of the university. Some beautiful post modern paintings were on display and renaissance work and a great collection of porcelains too. After a tornado look around it was off for punting, which I thought was a game like crocket…Wrong-o! It’s a flat boat driven , in our case by a cute English boy named Orlando, controlled by a long stick. This was the most gorgeous float, with weeping willows flowing into the river and all the beautiful gothic architecture of the colleges of Cambridge…a few places of interest, the Harry Potter bridge and the lawn that they use for quitage field were filmed along our root. I absolutely fell in love with the architecture, the people and the overall ambience of Cambridge, it helped that the shopping was great and flea market open too!~ I love me some good shopping!
Heading back home though Kings Cross, platform 9…you following me here…yeah found us the Harry Potter platform 9 ¾! I’m such a dork. That night was fun though we all got together for a Harry Potter Party and watched the 5th movie and had chocolate frogs, chocolate cake and jelly beans! Can life get any better, I submit that it cannot!


Posted by Picasa

0 comments: